WALT: What is the State and how have the different theorists interpreted the State?
WILFs: Can define key words and concepts (E-D)..... Can describe and explain some theories of the State (D-C).... Can evaluate competing theories of the State and come to a supported conclusion about the nature of the State today (A)
Read and take notes from the presentation
In groups of 4 prepare a presentation which covers:
1. What is the State?
2. How do Marxists, pluralists, feminists, anarchists, postmodernists and functionalists interpret the modern state. Give examples
3. Which theory do you find most convincing and why?
Presentations must be shown next lesson!
WALT: How has the State been defined and interpreted and how convincing are the various interpretations?
WILFs: Can give detailed descriptions of a range of theories supported by examples (D) ... Can compare and contrast theories pointing out similarity, difference, strengths and weakness (C)... Can assess the validty of theory in relation to the modern state and come to a supported conclusion
1. Starter: Find Someone Who
2. Mix then Write Pair Share the following questions
a) what is postmodernism and how have postmodernists interpreted the modern state?
b) what is globalisation - how has globalisation changed the role of the modern state?
c) which theory of the state is best supported by empirical evidence? Explain your answer
3. Now use your text book to complete the Individual Reading - mind map your notes
4. Swap your mind maps with your study buddy, read, annotate, improve and return
5. Now with your study budy go to a computer - make sure your notes on globalisation are complete then complete Rally Coach 2
6. Plenary paraphrase passport; 'What different theories of the state are there and what are their strengths and weaknesses?'
The State - Individual Reading
1. How does Weber define the state?
2. How does Andrew Heywood define the state? (put his 5 points in your own words)
3. According to Weber when and why did the national state develop?
B) Theories of the State
1. In pluralism describe what is meant by the weather vane model, the neutral state model and the broker state model
2. How did Karl Marx describe the role of the modern state?
3. In Marxism what is the difference between Miliband's and Poulantzas views of the state?
4. In Marxism what are the contradictory functions of the state referred to by Claus Offe?
5. Explain why the New Right is critical of the role of the state?