Lesson 1 Development
1. Connect the learning - Find Someone Who then Promenade your Study Buddy and try and list the 6 points of the Charter - when you are done shout BINGO!
2. Stand Up Hand Up Pair Up and Pair Share the key events in the story of Chartism
3. Now return to your study buddy and take them to a computer - use the links to make a list of the reasons why chartism failed
4. Stand and share
5. Now, again using your lists your buddy and your books Rally Coach a causal diagram to show why the Chartists failed to win the 6 Points of the Charter in the
Lesson 2 Development
1. Stand Up Hand Up Pair Up and Promenade your partner to
a) recall all 6 points of the Charter
b) recall the key events in the story of Chartism
2. Stand Up Hand Up Pair Up
Mix pair Share - Why did Chartism fail?
3. Roaming review with Study Buddy
a) Would you have supported 'moral force physical force or neither? Explain
b) Outline and describe the main events in the story of Chartism 1834-48
c) in what ways could Chartism be seen as a success?
d) Describe the reasons for the short term failure of Chartism
e) How did working class protest develop from 1811-48?
f) list the main reasons why people strated to support Chartism in the 1830's and 1840's Chartism Success or Failure
4. Now working in new pairs attempt to evaluate whether Chartism was a success or a failure first in its own time and then long term. In Word Create a table and use the links and your books to collect evidence under the headings Success and Failure. See below for a start - complete this and explain in detail.
Raised awareness of social issues which led to reforms at the time
None of the 6 Points enacted
Political education for tens of thousands of working men and women - working class politically conscious
Disaster of Kennington Common and the Land Plan
Growth of trade unionism and mutualism such as Coop movement
Chartism fizzled out in mid Victorian period
5. In groups of 4 (one recorder and three thinkers) Rally Brainstorm a political or an economic movement? (Britain 1815-1918 D Murphy et al pages 161-162)
6. With your study buddy complete a Diamond 9 of reasons why Chartism failed
7. Complete and print the summary exercise as solo work
8. Plenary: paraphrase passport
a) What were the 6 points of the Charter?
b) What were the key events in the story of chartism?
c) Why did chartism fail?
d) What were the successes and failures of Chartism?