Art and Culture in Weimar Germany
WALT: How and why did Art and culture thrive in Weimar Germany?
WILFs: Can describe and explain the cultural recovery in Weimar Germany (C).... can give examples of Weimar artists and writers describing their contributions (C).. Can assess the impact of art and culture on society and politics (B)
The 1920s became in Germany a time of real cultural creativity, with developments in Architecture, Art, Books, Films and Cabaret.
Famous figures of this period include:
The Bauhaus school of architecture, founded by Walter Gropius and including the artist Paul Klee.
The singer and film star Marlene Dietrich,
The artist and communist George Grosz
The novelist Erich Maria Remarque, who wrote the anti-war novel All Quiet on the Western Front.
Below is a Case Study presentation of one of these figures
1. Starter - Watch the clip then complete Exercise 1
2. Promenade - What was art and culture like in Weimar Germany 1924-29?
3. Stand and Share
4. Read and take notes from the PPT
5. Mix Pair Share
a) Describe art and culture in Weimar Germany
b) Who opposed Weimar art and culture and why
6. Table research and display work
7. Roaming review - what can you learn from the displays of others
8. Plenary - Vision On - today's WALT then share and interpret X3
Instructions to Students
1. Complete and print Exercise 1
2. Read the presentation on George Grosz and take some notes for class discussion
3. Watch the clip of All Quiet on the Western Front
4. Get into groups of 4 for some display work on "The Roaring Twenties"