Lesson 1: WALT: What was Prehistoric Medicine like and why was it like it??
WILF: Can describe (C) and explain (B) the main features of prehistoric life and medicine
1. Mix and pair up - Study the presentation below and Rally Robin - what were the main features of prehistoric life and medicine?
2. Stand and Share
3. In a new pair now study the detailed ppt and add to your lists
4. Pair Up again and Rally Coach this exercise
4. Solo work - complete the Interactive diagram and print
5. Plenary - Paraphrase Passport todays WALT
WALT: Why was prehistory a time of continuity?
WILFs: Can describe explain the main features of prehistorical society (C)... can list and explain possible reasons for continuity (C)... Can analyse and evaluate causes of continuity and come to a supported conclusion (A*)
1. Starter Find Someone Who
2. Mix Up and Rally Coach the exercise - drop notes into Word and save in a new folder for GCSE History
3. Mix Up again and with a new partner Rally Robin 'Why was prehistoric medicine basic and why didn't it change?'
4. Stand and Share
5. Rally coach the interactive diagram
5. Extension - review the detailed PPT, take notes and complete the questions on the last slide in your books
6. Plenary - Mix Pair Share
Summary from the BBC
Prehistoric people were hunter-gatherers. They lived in small groups and constantly moved around the country seeking out the best conditions for shelter and food supplies. In order to explain the many things in the world they could not otherwise understand, they believed in spirits.
Medicine was extremely basic and what treatments there were reflected their close relationship to nature and their superstition about spirits. Though prehistoric people had very little idea of how the body worked treatments included:
* simple cures using medicinal herbs.
* setting broken limbs.
* blaming evil spirits for disease.
* employing 'medicine men' whom they believed wielded power over spirits.
* practising trepanning to release evil spirits.