1. What schools were in the Tripartite System?
private, special, public
Grammar, technical, secondary modern
2. Name of three Marxist Sociologists of education
Young and Wilmott
3. Bernstein establishedd there were 2 types of linguistic code, they were
cockney and posh code
elaborate and restricted code
Upper class and Lower class code
Eloquent code and Repeated code
4. Who were the two sociologists who studied the self-fulfilling prophecy theory?
Rosenthal and Jacobson
Glass and Bottle
Althusser and Rogers
Gillborn and Gipps
5. What type of school charges fees?
6. What teaches students to accept authority and hierarchy?
The National curriculum
The hidden curriculum
7. What is streaming?
Where your put students into a form for all subjects according to ability
Put students into individual subjects according to ability
A class of mixed abilities
Put students into a class according to gender
8. What is setting?
Put students into individual groups according to ability
Put students into a form for all subjects according to ability
Put students into a group according to ethnicity
Put students into a group according to gender
9. What did the 1988 Education Act introduce?
Shifted power away from teachers
Gave children the right to do what they want
Gave teachers more power
10. What ages did the 1988 Act set up tests for?
11. What does LMS stand for?
Local Management of Schools
Local Merry Schools
Lost Management Structure
Lifelong Moaning Staff
12. What did LMS do to schools?
They gave budget responsibilities to head teachers
Allowed the teachers to steal money from the school budget
Allowed schools to stay open an extra hour
Gave students their own laptops
13. What is primary socialization?
Where parents teach their children norms and values
Where owners train their pets
Where you go outside for the first time
When you make a friend
14. Marxism is a:
15. What does CTC stand for?
Crazy teachers centre
Central textile colleges
Control technical centres
City technology college
16. What is a vocational subject?
a subject which isn't related to a specific job
a subject in which you don't have to do anything
Where you study a subject that is related to a specific job
Maths, English or science
17. According to J.W.B. Douglas's study which of the following classes are deprived of parental support?
18. What doe DfEE stand for?
Die for Energy and Electricity
Department for education and employment
Decisions for Education and Employment
Dried food energy and electricity
19. Who carried out a study on ethnicity in schools?
20. Who suggested that black people were over represented in special needs?
Tom and Jerry
21. Which ethnic groups do much worse at school than others?
Pakistani and Bangladeshi males
22. Who believes that the way a teacher interacts with a pupil affects the pupils education?
Interactionalists - such as Rosenthar, Jacobson, Keddie
Functionalists - such as Rosenthar, Jacobson, Keddie
Marxists - such as Rosenthar, Jacobson, Keddie
Feminists - such as Rosenthar, Jacobson, Keddie
23. Who said black people who do badly at school do so because they are socially deprived?
24. What does Durkheim believe the role od education is?
To teach norms and values and create social cohesion
To teach english maths and science
To teach people to be submissive to authority
To ensure people get the right jobs
25. What do Davis and Moore believe the role of education is?
To teach art drama and music
To ensure the right people get the right jobs
To teach norms and values
To provide jobs for teachers
26. Which interactionalists invented the labeling theory?
Timberlake and Speares
Davis and Moore
Posh and Beckam
Becker and Rist
27. Which of these personalities are more likely to succeed in education
intelligent but easily distracted
intelligent and attentive
noisy and disrupted
polite and quiet
28. At GCSE level which of these groups tend to better?
boys in mixed schools
boys on their own
girls on their own
girls and boys together
29. When was the National Curriculum introduced?
30. Who was the first sociologist to produce a Marxist theory?
31. Is the Marxist approach a:
32. What is material deprivation?
Running out of material
Lack of money for books, clothes, food
A charity for deprived material
lack of support from home
33. What is ment by the term meritocracy?
people achieving via merit
people achieving via accident of birth
people achieving because of who they know
34. In 1944 there was an act set up which stated that every child would receive a secondary education what was this act called?
The Waiter Act
The Waitress Act
The Butler Act
The Maid Act
35. Which one of these is not a core subject within the National Curriculum?