1. What are the rough dates of Ancient Roman civilisation?
2. How was the Roman Empire governed?
in a democratic way
By an Emperor, regional governors backed up by a strong army and civil service
by a city state system similar to the Greeks
3. Healthy town planning was an important element in Roman public health, which Roman civil servant was responsible for advice on town planning?
4. What Greek idea did the Romans use extensively to bring fresh water into towns?
specially designed rivers
5. I am a key man in Roman medicine, I was born a Greek and trained at the Askelpion in Pergamum. What is my name?
6. The Roman government was rich enough to afford hospitals and doctors for its people. What is the Roman word for a military hospital?
7. The Romans worshipped the same gods as the Greeks, true or false?
8. Sewers, aqueducts, fountains, public baths, lead water pipes, healthy town planning and public toilets, were all part of what?
The Emperors Five Year Plan
The excellent Roman public health system
9. Which Factors were most important in establishing good public health in the Roman Empire?
Communications and chance
Chance and industry
Government, economy and technology
Nationalism and communications
10. Of whose original theory was Galen's theory of opposites an extension?
Hippocrates Theory of the Four Humours
The theory that evil spirits cause disease
The Egyptian theory of blockage
11. What limited the accuracy of Galen's conclusions about human anatomy?
He was vain, lazy and could not accept criticism
He let ambition get the better of him
He was only allowed to practice dissection in Alexandria and therefor for much of the time had to rely on animal dissection
12. Most doctors in the Roman Empire were not Romans, who were they?
13. Who wrote De Materia Medica around AD 80, a medical book which relied exclsively on natural herbal cures rather than superstitious ones?
14. Around when did the Western Roman Empire collapse under the pressure of invading barbarian tribes?
15. The Eastern Roman Empire survived, what was it called?