1. Who developed the carbolic spray in 1865?
2. What did carbolic spray do?
it killed some of the germs present in surgery
it annoyed the nurses
it reduced pain
it reduced blood loss
3. On whose work on germ theory did Lister base his conclusions?
4. In the 1890s who discovered that hot steam killed more germs than carbolic acid?
5. What is the technique called when you create a totally germ free sterile field before starting surgery?
6. What is the technique called when you try to kill existing bacteria during an operation to reduce infection?
7. At which University was Joseph Lister Professor of Surgery?
8. Who developed rubber gloves in surgery to protect the hands of his nurse (who was also his girlfriend) from the irritating effects of carbolic spray?
William Halstead 1890
William Wonker 1890
William Windsor 1890
9. In which medical journal did Lister read and learn about the work of Pasteur?
Doctors and Nurses
10. What reward was Lister given to mark his enormous contribution to modern surgery?
a cash reward