1. What was the title of the Egyptian King?
2. Who was the Egyptian god of healing orginally Pharoah Zoser's doctor?
3. This Egyptian drug is still used today, what is it?
4. Who was the Egyptian god of war who could also cure diseases and epidemics?
5. The ancient Egyptians were polytheistic. What does this mean?
they had an abundance of parrots
they relied on the river Nile
they worshipped many gods
6. Why did the ancient Egyptians wear charms and amulets like the scarab beetle?
because they still believedd disease was caused by evil spirits, the charms were to drive such spirits away
for fashion purposes
to show that they weren't frightened of evil spirits
7. How did Egyptian religion progress knowledge about anatomy?
the gods told them how the body works
the Egyptian heart had to be balanced against a feather so they learnt how if worked
the priests read about it in the Book of Thoth
they believed the body was needed in the after life so preserved it and dissected out the soft organs to preserve them
8. How did Egyptian religion hinder an understanding of anatomy?
religion always stands in the way of progress
experimental disection was not allowed under religious law
the priests did not want to anger the gods
9. The Egyptians were one of the first civilisations to develop written language, what was it called
hieroglyphics or picture writing
10. How did the Egyptians use willow?
as a purgative
to treat wounds and sfter surgery
to treat colds and flu
11. The river Nile flooded every year, why was this important to Egyptians?
it provided drinking water
it kept them cool
the flood waters left a fertile deposit making Egyptian agriculture possible
12. Which of the following is an example of a natural theory of disease forwarded by the Egyptians?
the idea that disease was caused by evil spirits which could be charmed away
The theory of blockage with treatments involving purging, bleeding and vomiting
the theory of opposites
13. Why did Egyptian priests bathe and shave themselves thoroughly?
personal hygiene appears to have had religious significance in Ancient Egypt
because the weather is very hot in Egypt
to make themselves look smart for religious ceremonies
14. What is the proper name for the preservative used in the embalming process?
15. Roughly what were the dates of Ancient Egyptian civilisation?
16. Why did Egyptian's use herbs and drugs?
as natural cures for disease
to ward off evil spirits