By Andy Walker
a GCSE History revision quiz from www.historygcse.org
1. Who discovered the anaesthetic qualities of nitrous oxide?
2. When was nitrous oxide identified as an anaesthetic?
3. What is the common term for nitrous oxide?
4. Who discovered the anaesthetic qualities of ether in 1842?
5. Who held a public demonstration of ether as as an anaesthetic in 1846?
6. What are two problems of using ether as an anaesthetic?
it puts you to sleep and you cannot feel any pain
it is an irritant and is explosive
7. Who discovered the anaesthetic qualities of chloroform in 1847?
8. Why was there an increase in deaths immediately after surgery despite the adoption of effective anaesthesia?
patients never woke up
doctors were careless
the problem of infection still hadn't been solved
9. What is a side effect of chloroform?
10. Which organisation opposed anaesthetics believing women should suffer during childbirth?
the Women's Institute
the United Nations
11. Roughly when was the "Black Period" in surgery?