Young people in Nazi Germany
By Andy Walker
Revision quiz for Year 11 history students from Historygcse.org
1. Who said "whoever has the youth has the future"?
2. Who while Nazi minister for education said "the purpose of education is to create Nazis"
3. The nazis believed that women should play the role of submissive wives and devoted . Girls were therefore prepared for this role
4. The Nazis tried to prepare boys for the role of...
5. From 1933 boys aged 10-14 had to join the......
Deutsches Jungvolk (DJ) or German Young People
The Boy scouts
The Young Hitlerites
6. At the age of 14 all boys joined the Hitler Jugend (HJ) or
7. Who was in charge of all Youth groups in Nazi Germany?
Baldur von Schirach
8. What percentage of German youth were members of the Hitler Youth as early as 1935?
9. On 1 December 1936 the HJ became an official government department of state
10. When was it made compulsory for all German youths to be members of the HJ?
11. The HJ offered a wide range of activities to its members. But some were offended by its emphasis
12. The Youth group for girls was called.....
Jungmadelbund or League of Young Girls
the girl guides
the sisters for Hitler
13. How old were girls when they joined the JM?
14. At 14 all german girls were expected to join the BDM (Bund Deutscher Madel) or
15. Membership of the BDM became compulsory in...
16. At 17 girls were encouraged to join the....
Faith and Beauty organisation
17. Which three things were girls trained in in all youth groups?
reading writing and arithematic
speaking, listening and organising
Maths, english and Science
eugenics, domestic science and preparation for marriage and motherhood
18. Woman were central to Nazi ideology because it was women who could deliver Hitler his master race
19. Which teachers were sacked almost immediately by Bernhard Rust in 1933
20. All teachers soon had to be members of of the National Socialist Teachers Alliance (NSLB). By 1937 percent were members.
21. The NSLB was responsible for...
indoctrinating teachers into Nazi ideology
protecting the rights of teachers
22. Special schools emphasising PE and racial ideology were set up and controlled by the HJ. These were called schools
23. PE, Biology and German were upgraded in Nazi schools
24. The subject of History became a vehicle for Germans about their glorious past
25. Biology became the study of racial stereotypes and the supposed superiority of the race
26. Sport was encouraged to help create fit unthinking soldiers
27. Creative subjects were encouraged by the Nazis
28. Examples in Maths and science textbooks were often used to pass on messages
29. What were elite schools for would be Nazi leaders called?
30. Who were the Eidleweiss Pirates?
a group of lazy seafarers
a group of nazi teachers
an opposition youth group who grew their hair long attacked the Hitler youth and listened to Jazz