The English Civil War
By Andy Walker
Year 8 revision test from Historygcse.org
1. Who was the King of England at the start of the civil war?
2. In which year did the civil war begin?
3. What was the name of one of Charles I's deeply unpopular taxes?
4. Who was the French catholic princess who married Charles I?
Maria del Carmen Grande Martin
5. When did Charles dissolve Parliament and start what became known as the "eleven years tyranny"
6. What word means a politcal system where there is no monarch?
7. A war is a war within a country
8. Who was Charles I's deeply unpopular advisor?
9. Peoples' dislike of Charles' taxes is an cause of the English Civil war
10. Objections and suspicions that followed the marriage of Charles to a French catholic are a cause of the English civil war
11. These people were the first people to protest about the Roman Catholic Church. Who were they?
12. Very serious protestants were called.....
13. Which battle ended Charles I's attempt to capture London in 1642?
14. In which year was Charles I beheaded?
15. Which M.P. accused Charles' advisors Laud and Stafford of high treason and had them arrested in 1641?
16. The Star Chamber was a deeply unpopular court used by Charles to punish his enemies before the civil war.
17. Which battle ended the first civil war with the capture of the King?
18. Who changed sides in 1648 and fought with the royalists at the battle of Preston?
the New Model Army
19. Who became ruler of England after the death of Oliver Cromwell in 1658?
20. Who became King in 1660 but accepted the limits on the King's powers first agreed in 1641?