1. To investigate the advantages and disadvantages of Lab and Field Experiments
1. First watch the video clip below
2. Read about Bandura's experiment on this page
3. Then complete the Experiments exercise linked left
4. Read page 108 of your revision guides and list the advantages and disadvantages of both Lab and Field experiments in sociological research
Bandura's main findings were.
- The children in the aggressive model condition made more aggressive responses than the children in the non-aggressive model condition
- Boys made more aggressive responses than girls;
- The boys in the aggressive model conditions showed more aggressive responses if the model was male than if the model was female;
- The girls in the aggressive model conditions also showed more physical aggressive responses if the model was male but more verbal aggressive responses if the model was female; (However, the exception to this general pattern was the observation of how often they punched Bobo, and in this case the effects of gender were reversed).
The findings support Bandura's Social Learning Theory. That is, children learn social behaviour such as aggression through the process of observation learning - through watching the behaviour of another person.